Shepherd Area Historical Society

Powerhouse Museum

The Powerhouse Museum is closed while it undergoes renovation. The Shepherd Area Historical Society has several fundraisers planned in the future.

History

The Shepherd Village Power House Museum is an old electric power station located in Shepherd, Michigan. It was built between 1908 and 1909 and was the village’s first electric plant and water pumping station. A 35 kilowatt coal gas engine powered both and it operated from 1909 to 1912.

The building received outside electricity between 1913 until 1925, when Consumers Power bought it. Operations ceased at that time. A portion of the building was used as the village council hall until 1957. The Shepherd Area Historical Society began using the building in 1982. It is still managed by the society and is now a museum.

Address:

314 W Maple St, Shepherd, MI 48883, USA

Annex Repair Project

Learn more about the society's efforts to renovate the Powerhouse Museum. Repairs included:

  • Roof
  • New Floor
  • Replace Windows
  • New Furnace
  • . . .

Thank you to our Supporters:

Business & Organizations

  • Shepherd Sugarbush Corp.
  • Shepherd Maple Syrup Festival
  • Morey Foundation
  • Shepherd Community Foundation
  • Isabella Bank
  • The Village of Shepherd
  • Shepherd Bar and Restaurant

Individuals

  • Steve & Patty Sandel
  • Roger & Patricia Trudell
  • Sharon Bolton
  • Paul & Jan Kruska
  • Larry & Joyce Noyes
  • Ed & Kay Bissett
  • Carol Lauffer
  • Claude & Sharon Lemmer
  • Gary B. & Eva J. Whitmore
  • Janet Feltman
  • Clare Myers
  • Nancy Durham
  • John Williams
  • Mark & Joyce Gluch
  • Marie Green
  • Denny & Cheryl Bailey
  • Bill Henderson
  • Steve Davidson
  • Douglas & Diane Emerson
  • Jack Adams
  • Anonymous donors

Upcoming Fundraisers

Stay tuned for information about upcoming events and opportunities to support the historical society.